What foods should I avoid to combat cholesterol?

Verified on 02/27/2023 by Alexane Flament, Editor
Quels sont les aliments à éviter contre le cholestérol ?

In France, around 10 million people have too much cholesterol in their blood, and some are affected without even knowing it…

Excess cholesterol can lead to many illnesses. To preserve your health, good eating habits are essential. Find out which foods to avoid.

What is cholesterol?

 » Cholesterol is a fatty compound essential to life. It is a constituent of our cell walls. There are two sources: one is synthesized by the liver (75%) and the other is provided by the diet (25% ), » explains Futura Science.

Excess cholesterol is dangerous to health, as it deposits on artery walls, forming plaques that can even block arteries and prevent blood flow.

Excess « bad » cholesterol is responsible for many heart and blood vessel diseases.

It’s important to know your cholesterol level: ideally, it should be below 2 g/l.

Causes of high cholesterol

Excessive consumption of foods rich in saturated fats is the main cause of high cholesterol.

These foods include meats, eggs and certain dairy products such as cheese and butter.

Other factors also influence high cholesterol levels, such as certain diseases like diabetes. The pill also raises cholesterol levels.

How can I lower my cholesterol?

Modifying your diet is the best solution!

To lower cholesterol levels, you need to limit your intake of foods rich in saturated fats, such as cold meats, butter, sauces, fried foods and fatty meats.

Other foods such as chocolate, salted cookies and pastries should also be avoided! But it’s all a question of quantity!